dimarts, de març 20, 2007

London: British Museum (II)

There is no doubt about the greatness of the British Museum.
Anyway I can't help having a strong mental conflict: on one hand I think that it's great to have something like the British Museum, a place where you can track the evolution of art through the history of humanity in a real admirable level of conservation/restoration, and with no entrace fee. On the other hand, I understand perfectly the feelings of the countries of procedence of most of these art objects.

In fact, in an undetermined moment of my visit to the Museum, I thought It could be called "The expoliation museum", or even "stolen-stones museum"/"withdrawn-walls museum".

Anyway I enjoyed my visit to the museum highly. And so did my mother.
But I think so much things to see may be tiring... Abusing... Maybe reducing some collections would be even better (try giving some of the pieces back to their procedence countries) for the people to enjoy the exhibit. And I also felt that the pieces weren't disposed didactically.

Although I really liked the museum, most of the things didn't really surprise me, as I had seen very similar things on other museums, or in several documentaries.

Anyway It's an impressing museum, worth visiting (two whole days recommended to fully enjoy all it's features)...

Beautiful and incredible exhibits about Egypt, Mesopotamia, Asia, Greece, Rome and many different cultures and geographical sites.

One of the things I liked most was the frist room I went into, which had a kind of summary of what the British Museum contains... I also loved specially the room about live, dead and gods around the world... Quite interesting, indeed.

At last, the visit we had predicted to last just until lunch time, spreaded till half afternoon. (Does it mean we were really enjoying it?). We had to have lunch at the same museum. It wasn't nor bad neither expensive...

In a few words, a wonderful visit to the museum, with more reflections about the museum itself than about the pieces it contains. The only contra to this visit, is that we ended totally exhausted... Our legs were really hurting. Well...

Although the visit to the museum had ended, the day continued... So this will continue... Tomorrow.

2 comentaris:

  1. I recommend you to come to NY and see the Metropolitan Museum :) I don't know if you have seen it but that museum is amazing ;)

    ResponElimina
  2. Of course Xavi I must go to the Metropolitan Museum some day... I've already been to NY twice, but I've never been to that Museum. I suppose it's on my "To Do" list from this moment on.

    Thanks for your recommendation.

    ResponElimina