dijous, de juny 26, 2008

Parker Pyne Investigates, Agatha Christie

Here I am. In a cybercafe in the middle of nowhere... Well, in the middle of Bielefeld, a small city (or a big town, depending on how you prefer it) writting a post about a book I read many months ago.


Well, this is how life is nowadays. I like to imagine myself like Agatha Christie, travelling around the world, learning about cultures and falling in love with cities and landscapes and then writting about them...


But this is not the story today. The story is about a book written by Agatha Christie. The usual readers of this blog know perfectly that I read some of her books regularly. And before reading them I write some useless thoughts of mine about that.


Parker Pyne is the most unusual character. An ex-bureaucrat. A man who has spent all his life in a desk dealing with all - totally with all- kind of human beings and therefore someone who has dealt with all kind of human stories and behaviour. He regards himself as an observer, someone who can deduce, predict, conduct human behaviour. (Sometimes I try to do the same, and from time to time I do it well!!!!). This book contains a set of histories, of cases, of this character that appears in other short stories, at the moment where Mr. Pyne decides to retire from his clerk life to set an unusual business. He sets in an office and an advertisment in the press, saying that he is available to resolve any unhappiness people may have.


Most unusual. Anyway there is a lot of unhappiness in the world, and soon he gets many customers. Some of his cases end successfully... Some don´t. But it´s a different book in the Christie´s bibliography, which led me to a conclusion I agree deeply. Human behaviour is more predictable than people think. By the way, this is the same I talked with Planicie - Planosfera (a good friend of mine) in a pizza place in Bielesfeld.




Parker Pyne Investigates (1934)

Agatha Christie

Harper Collins

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada