dilluns, de maig 21, 2007

The Silence, Ingmar Bergman

I've just seen this movie...
I wanted to say my opinion out of it, but, I prefer to quote another person's analysis because I think it's a real good one.
Anyway I won't avoid recognizing that often (quite often indeed) I suffer from the same problems Esther does: not the physical illnes (probably tuberculosis) but feeling that everything with me must be important, and perfect... It's not a totally concious attitude, but I give too much importance to myself... I think I've got more culture than others... That I'm more intelligent... And that's a problem, indeed, of which I'm not proud... I wanted to state this because it's what has impressed me most of this film "The Silence" by Ingmar Bergman.

And now, for something completely different, I will reproduce a comment, published originally on IMDB, which I consider really good and accurate.

Watch Bergman's life's work and save yourself a bundle on film school, 23 February 2004
Author: Bill Stoll (bill@billstoll.com) from Tampa FL

An Ingmar Bergman film always takes me to film school. `Silence' offers the PhD. Metaphors and character arcs: No one does it better than Bergman.

It's a study in contrasts. It's about the strife sewn into the lining of family intimacy, contrasted with the perfection of strangers engaged in the base behaviors. Complexity vs. Simplicity. The common ground shared by youthful innocence and ignorance vs. the confusion imposed by years of living. Short people seeking acceptance vs. normal folk who are so completely unacceptable to each other. It's about a dying woman whose life's work is translating one language to another so others can understand it vs. two people who speak the same language who cannot understand each other (further) vs. two other people who speak different languages who have a better understanding than those sharing a common lexicon. And on and on.

Watching this film, it occurred to me how deeply Bergman's work influenced the likes of Kubrick and Hitchcock and Aldrich and Leigh … so many more. 2001 Space Odyssey, Psycho, so many of the great films have seeds here. The screen was Bergman's canvas; the camera his brush. Neither the script nor the imagery alone created the work. His work has a soul from the combination of all of it.

Watch Bergman's life's work and save yourself a bundle on film school. You'll be in the master's care.

Per cert, una película més i ja estaré lluny de la galàxia, definitivament.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada