diumenge, de juny 24, 2007

The Thirteen Problems of Miss Marple, Agatha Christie

Miss Marple's agudity strikes again on my reading habits.

What the .... am I trying to say with this?
In my hobby of reading the whole Christie's work, it was the turn of "The Thirteen Problems". Among my manias, preserving the chronological order when I'm approaching some author's work it's the main rule to determine the turns.

"The Thirteen Problems" it's the second of Christie's books to feature the lovely, old victorian Miss Marple, that conaisseuse of the human nature... Just because she has had the time to observe it in the behaviour of the inhabitants of St. Mary Mead.


Her first appearance is in "Murder at the Vicarage", in which she definitively helps to save an innocent man from being falsely accused of muder... The murderer is the least feasible one... Surprising!


"The Thirteen Problems" are just that, Thirteen Problems... But one could compare them with "The Labours Of Hercules" in which Hercule Poirot, who is compared to the mythological figure of Hercules, will face twelve problems. (I haven't read this one yet anyway).

This kind of argument is not original, I dare say... At least, Simenon used that formula the same year of the Thirteen Problems (1932) in the books of his detective Maigret entitled "The 13 guilty men", "The 13 enigmas" and "The 13 mysteries". Just now I don't know if there are more authors that used similar formulas with their detectives, but I'm sure that there must be.

Well, I think that I don't need to say that "The Thirteen Problems" is composed by thirteen short stories, all of which feature Miss Marple and Sir Henry Clithering, a retired Scotland Yard Chief Detective... I liked it specially because in some of the stories nobody gets killed. :D

If you try to read it, just enjoy it!

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada